Tigers fall short against Gentry Rams
by Donell Maxie
Sep 08, 2013 | 1665 views | 0 0 comments | 27 27 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Ruleville's Markevion Quinn breaks a big run on the Tiger's opening drive against the Gentry Rams Friday in Ruleville. The Tigers scored on the drive, but lost the game 34-20.
Ruleville's Markevion Quinn breaks a big run on the Tiger's opening drive against the Gentry Rams Friday in Ruleville. The Tigers scored on the drive, but lost the game 34-20.
RULEVILLE— The Ruleville Central Tigers had their chances here Friday night against the Indianola Gentry Rams.

Trailing 34-20 with under two-minutes left to play the Rams tried a fake punt from their own 24-yard line and failed giving Ruleville possession of the ball.

Unfortunately on Ruleville's first play Markevion Quinn threw an interception to Gentry's Joseph Minniefield to give the ball back to the Rams with 1:19 remaining in the contest.

The football gods were smiling on Ruleville again and offered another opportunity as Gentry's back up quarterback could not handle a high snap that resulted in a fumble.

Once again the Tigers had a shot at the ball, which was rolling around inside of the five-yard line, but could not secure it and Gentry's Ladarious Gallaway ended up with the ball and raced it 75-yards away from danger to seal the 34-20 victory for the Rams.

With the loss Ruleville fell to 0-3 and Gentry improved to 2-1.

Despite the loss Ruleville head coach Jerry Walker was proud of the way his young team fought to the end of the game.

"We feel good about the direction of this program. We have been stressing not to quit and to keep fighting. On that last play it was a senior and junior who hustled and ran that kid down to stop them from scoring another touchdown. They could have given up, but they refused to. We have a bunch of ninth and tenth graders and we look to our juniors and seniors for that type of effort to set the tone for this program," said Ruleville head coach Jerry Walker.

The Tigers came out on fire and put together a three play, 57-yard drive that culminated in Quinn connecting with Anthony Spivey for a seven-yard touchdown pass with 10:24 left on the clock in the first quarter. The conversion attempt failed, but Ruleville led 6-0.

The Tigers defense responded and forced a fourth down, but the Rams converted as Armond Wyms connected with Kendall Wright down to the 13-yard line.

Two plays later Galloway scored on a 13 yard run with 6:30 left in the first quarter. The conversion failed, but Gentry tied the game at 6-6.

The game remained locked at 6-6 throughout the first quarter. The Rams managed to add more points in the second quarter as Galloway galloped on two big runs to set up a 10-yard touchdown pass from Wyms to Wright with 4:39 left in the first half. Kenyon Snipes added the two-point conversion for a 14-6 Gentry lead.

The Ruleville offense punted on their next possession, but the Ruleville defense got the ball back for their offense when Tyquan Rule intercepted a Wyms pass on the 25-yard line.

The Tigers made a few plays to start the drive, but a couple of drops by Quinn's receivers brought up fourth down and a punt.

On the punt attempt, Ruleville's Dujuan Harris could not handle the snap and the ball ended up being recovered in the end zone by Gentry's SB Phillips for a 20-6 lead that the Rams took into halftime.

The Rams continued to take advantage of Ruleville mistakes in the third quarter as Gentry's Marquavious Hollins stopped a promising Ruleville drive by intercepting a Quinn pass and returning it 85-yards for a touchdown with 4:35 left in the period for a 26-6 Gentry lead.

The Tigers received some good fortune on their next possession as Gentry was called for roughing the punter and Ruleville maintained possession. With the gift the Tigers marched down the field and with time expiring in the quarter, Quinn connected with Eric Hunter for a 30-yard touchdown pass for a 26-12 game.

In response to the Tiger touchdown, Galloway ripped a 64-yard touchdown run with 11:41 left in the game. Minniefield added the two-point conversion for a 34-12 game.

Ruleville pulled a little closer with 2:25 left in the fourth when Quinn found Hunter for a 24-yard touchdown pass and Deandre Fields added the two-point conversion for a 34-20 game.

The Tigers could not get any closer and Gentry held on for the win.

Quinn finished the night completing 12-of-30 passes for 150 yards with three touchdowns and two interceptions. Quinn also had 52 yards on four carries. Fields finished with 12 carries for 47 yards and caught three passes for 30 yards.

Hunter caught two passes for 54 yards and two touchdowns and Spivey had four catches for 25 yards and a touchdown.

"We have been stressing ball security for the past few weeks. We've been in games, but turnovers have killed us. We are going to have some growing pains. We have a young team with a young ninth grade quarterback and we are going to have some nights like this. He's growing and we have to grow with him. Overall I'm proud of the way these guys fought tonight and have all year," said Walker.