Busy week for fires
by Rory Doyle
Jan 18, 2013 | 2282 views | 0 0 comments | 11 11 recommendations | email to a friend | print
The Cleveland Volunteer Fire Department controls a fire that began around 2:10 p.m. Thursday at 312 S. LeFlore St. The electrical fire damaged the studio apartment located on the back of the house. No one was injured in the incident.
The Cleveland Volunteer Fire Department controls a fire that began around 2:10 p.m. Thursday at 312 S. LeFlore St. The electrical fire damaged the studio apartment located on the back of the house. No one was injured in the incident.
slideshow
Firefighters from the city and county have been busy battling a number of fires this week.

The Cleveland Volunteer Fire Department responded to a fire around 2:10 p.m. Thursday at 312 S. LeFlore St.

Cleveland Fire Inspector Gene Bishop said the blaze occurred in a studio apartment on the back of the house. Electrical wiring was likely the cause.

The occupant was not home when the fire began and there was extensive damage to the apartment. Other parts of the house experienced some smoke and water damaged.

No one was injured in the incident.

The Bolivar County Volunteer Fire Department responded to two fires on Thursday.

BCVFD Chief Lee Tedder said a stove fire began around 5:45 p.m. at 1103 Cross St. just outside of Cleveland.

A leak in the gas line caused flames but homeowners quickly extinguished the problem and limited damage strictly to the stove. No one was injured.

In a separate incident, a mobile home caught fire in Winstonville on Thursday around 5:30 p.m., but an official report was unavailable before presstime.

Tedder, who did not respond to the incident, said the structure burned to the ground.

Another fire occurred at 322 Grant St. in Shaw around midnight Wednesday in a mobile home.

A light fixture shorted out and caught the nearby ceiling and insulation on fire. Damage was limited to a few feet from the fixture. No one was injured.