Trojans' 505 on the ground too much for Greenwaves
by Donell Maxie
Nov 03, 2013 | 1385 views | 0 0 comments | 23 23 recommendations | email to a friend | print
East Side's Quadre Butler flexes his muscles after a three touchdown performance against O'Bannon Friday night in a 34-32 win for East Side. The Trojans also claimed their third straight region title.
East Side's Quadre Butler flexes his muscles after a three touchdown performance against O'Bannon Friday night in a 34-32 win for East Side. The Trojans also claimed their third straight region title.
That was the chant Friday night as the East Side Trojans edged out the O'Bannon Greenwaves 34-32 in to win the Region 3-3A Title here at Leroy Byars Field.

The contest culminated the regular season for both teams with the Trojans sporting an 8-3 record with a 4-0 mark in region play. O'Bannon fell to 8-2 with a 3-1 region record.

The Trojans flexed their running game muscles as they compiled 505 rushing yards on the night. Quadre Butler led the Trojans with 218 yards on 19 carries with three touchdowns, followed by Jalen Thomas with 162 yards on 18 carries with one touchdown and Taquille Eatmon with 117 yards on seven carries a touchdown.

The Trojans will now prepare for the first round of the 3A Playoffs as they host the Nettleton Tigers (6-5) on Friday at 7 p.m. Nettleton finished fourth in Region 4-3A and will be coming off a 46-0 loss to Louisville.

East Side head football coach Kendrick Woodard said the Nettleton game will be a huge challenge for his team.

"Nettleton is much better than your average fourth seed team,” Woodard said. “That region has some really good teams in it with Louisville and Aberdeen. We will have our work cut out for us as we prepare to face them.”

The Trojans opened the contest scoring the game’s first touchdown with Thomas punching it in with 6:30 to go in the opening quarter for a 6-0 lead.

East Side made it 14-0 with 9:17 remaining in the second quarter when Butler scored on a run and added the two-point conversion.

O'Bannon scored its first points with 4:43 remaining in the second quarter when Anthony Howard scored on a short run to for a 14-6 ball game.

The Trojans responded with a couple of nice run plays, but Thomas fumbled and O'Bannon recovered.

The Trojans’ defense made up for the turnover by forcing a fumble and recovering to get the ball back to the offense, but with a 1:05 remaining in the half, East Side fumbled the ball away again.

This time the Greenwaves took advantage as Dimitri Wooten connected with Curtis Brown for a 16-yard touchdown with three seconds left in the first half. Centarus Washington added the two-point conversion for a 14-14 tie going into the locker room at halftime.

Woodard said at halftime the senior players really stood up and took responsibility for what was going on with the offense and how they were not taking care of the football.

"The senior guys went in at halftime and came back in the second half and did a much better job of running the offense,” Woodard. “It had nothing to do with me, it was the players who got out there and made it happen.”

The Greenwaves' defense stood tall to start the third quarter forcing a three-and-out and punt from the Trojans.

O'Bannon's offense responded with a two-play drive that saw Washington scamper on a 52-yard run and Howard punch it in from 15 yards out with 8:10 remaining in the third quarter for a 20-14 lead over East Side.

The Trojans answered quickly as they put together a three play, 58-yard drive that was all Eatmon and the Trojans' offensive line. Eatmon carried the ball on a 25-yard run, a 27-yard run and a six-yard touchdown run with 7:26 remaining in the third to tie the game at 20-20.

O'Bannon took the lead again as Washington returned a punt down to the East Side 18-yard line. On the first play of the drive, Howard scored again for a 26-20 lead with 2:18 left in the third quarter.

Just like before the Trojans answered the Greenwaves score with a score of their own as Butler scored from 14 yards out with 1:00 left in the quarter for a 26-26 tie.

The Trojans' defense opened the fourth quarter with a huge play as Perry Thomas intercepted a Wooten pass to put East Side in business.

The Trojans pushed the ball down field with big runs from Thomas and Eatmon, but on what potentially would have been a first-and-goal situation for the Trojans at the two-yard line; Eatmon fumbled the ball and watched it roll into the end zone and to be recovered by O'Bannon for a touchback and the ball at the 20-yard line.

The Greenwaves did what they had to do and willed themselves down field converting third-and-long twice to eventually set up a two-yard touchdown run from Washington with 5:06 remaining in the fourth for a 32-26 lead.

The Trojans took over with 5:02 left in the game and seniors Thomas and Butler came up clutch marching on big runs that tied the game at 32-32 when Butler scored from three yards out with 2:10 left on the clock. Thomas gave the Trojans what they needed as he scored the team's second two-point conversion of the night for a 34-32 lead.

The Trojans' defense sealed the deal for the team as Wooten tried to convert another third-and-long situation, but this time sophomore defensive back Travoris Williams made the play of the night with an interception to give the ball back to East Side, which in turn allowed the team to run out the clock to secure the win.

"We called timeout before that play and told the guys we needed this stop to win the game,” Woodard said. “We wanted to get two safeties back and get more guys in coverage. We wanted to force them to throw it underneath with it being third-and-long and fortunately (Travoris) Williams made a huge play. He has been playing really well for us the last couple of weeks.”

Jamarcus Burns led the defense with 12 tackles, followed by Eatmon with 10 tackles and Henry and Williams with interceptions each.