Hit-and-run information finally released
by Courtney Stevens
Sep 05, 2013 | 4081 views | 0 0 comments | 41 41 recommendations | email to a friend | print
After a week of attempting to locate information on the case of a hit and run in Mound Bayou on Aug. 26, Mound Bayou Police Chief Tony Warren finally returned phone calls on Wednesday.

Warren was able to confirm that on Aug. 26 Rhodena Taylor of Mound Bayou was struck twice by a Chevy Trailblazer, which was driven by Yolanda Robinson, who then fled the scene.

"I have an officer's report but I can't release that. Right now it is still under investigation," said Warren.

"She was charged with aggravated assault and leaving the scene of an accident with injury," said Warren.

Warren said Robinson had been arrested and made bond, which was set at $20,000.

"The arrest was made within 10-15 minutes after the accident," Warren said.

Several of Taylor’s family members spoke this week with The Bolivar Commercial and questioned the police investigation.

They said the family was not receiving information on the case, although Warren also said he speaks with Taylor's mother every day and has even had a chance to speak with Taylor herself.

According to the family, Taylor is currently at the Med Trauma Center in Memphis where she has undergone at least five different surgeries to repair multiple broken bones and also suffered from a collapsed lung and fluid on her spine.

"My granddaughter is up there suffering, fighting, and trying to get well for her four kids. I feel like she should not have ever made bond. You tried to kill a person — you tried to kill her and then you ran," said Fay Walker, Taylor’s grandmother.

"It hit her so hard it knocked her shoes off, she came up in the air, and the girl turned back around, came back, and ran over her again. She dragged her so many feet," said Taylor's aunt Willie Mae Evans, as she recounted what her son told her of the scene.

"This has left the family in a state of disbelief because of the situations and the way the case is being handled.

"This case was not taken seriously and the suspect has been released from jail on bond," said Samantha Walker.

"We are going to push this until the end. We are not going to give up. Justice needs to be done. They didn't do their job," said Fay Walker.

While Chief Warren confirmed the incident is still under investigation, when asked if Taylor was dragged under the car he said, "that was an SUV, it's up off the ground."

The Bolivar Commercial will have more as the story develops.